Shot of Grain Elevator No 2, in the Old Port of Montreal.
The large and familiar grain elevator complex is located at the foot of McGill Street and the mouth of the Lachine Canal, was built over a period of more than fifty years, starting in 1903.
It is an example of the remarkable grain elevator technology used in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, when Canada's last steel silos were built, including Elevator B, which was the city's most imposing industrial structure for many years
By 1994, when Montreal ceased operating the old grain elevator complex, the other silos had already been demolished, leaving only Elevator No. 5 as the last remaining testimony to a period of exhilarating growth that transformed the Canadian economy, a period during which Montréal was the world's largest grain port and the second-largest commercial port in North America, after New York.
Leave a Comment
Return to Recent Comments